5 Reasons To Use Reclaimed Doors & Windows In and Around Your Home
1. Cost-Effective Option: Did you know that pre-owned products can be a worthwhile investment? If you want to invest in a new door or window, be ready to spend a good amount of fortune in the brand-new product. You could get the same product at a discount of nearly 50% or more if you invest in pre-owned doors and windows. All you need is proper care and maintenance to prolong their life.
2. No New Resources Are Utilized: Whenever a door is manufactured, whether it is a wooden door or a metal door, a certain amount of resources is surely spent. The resources are usually mined after plundering nature. Wooden doors and windows are made by cutting down trees and for metal ones, the ore is mined from the depths of the planet Earth. Cutting down more trees means turning the planet into a desert. Getting rid of old doors means that they end up in landfills or add to environmental pollution. If you choose second hand doors and windows, you would be saving Mother Nature.
4. Energy Efficient Option: Any manufacturing process requires a significant amount of energy to be spent in the form of electricity. Electricity is produced with the help of natural gas or coal, which can cause environmental pollution in the form of the emissions that happen during the generation of electricity. The decision of using second-hand doors and windows ensures that no energy is used and thus you opt for an energy efficient option and help reduce pollution.
5. Eliminates Detrimental Packaging Materials: All kind of doors and windows, when brought new come with various kinds of packaging. The packaging usually consists of material which is non-biodegradable. Would you really want to feel guilty about adding to environmental pollution levels? It would be quite a difficult task to get rid of so much packaging material in a responsible manner. Opting for pre-owned furniture eliminates the possibility of so much non-biodegradable waste.
Investing in pre-owned doors and windows will help you save considerable amount of money and also help save the environment. This is possible because, levels of pollution are reduced remarkably as second-hand doors and windows are an energy efficient choice, which does not contribute to environmental pollution.
- Check your local Craigslist listings for affordable and even free pre-owned building materials
- Habitat For Humanity Restore is a great resource for pre-owned interior and exterior building materials
- Join your neighborhood FreeCycle group
- In the Seattle or Tacoma area? Check the Second Use listings
- UK readers, check your local preloved listings