Over the past few years, swimwear designers have finally gotten with the program and started designing fashionable, trendy swimwear for plus size women--hallelujah, praise J̶e̶s̶u̶s̶ <insert your choice of deity here>! Gone are the days of matronly swimsuits in ghastly floral prints. No more wearing an old hand-me-down, busted one piece with a tee shirt over it. And forget about wearing cut off shorts in the pool because you think your only other choice is that godforsaken granny suit. There are some seriously sexy, gorgeous pus-size swimwear options out there now, but first, let's take a look at what you need to know before actually picking out a plus size bathing suit.
A Comprehensive Guide To Plus-Size Swimwear: Fit, Style And Design
Understanding Plus-Size Swimwear
Plus-size swimwear is specifically designed to cater to individuals with fuller figures, providing comfortable and flattering options that celebrate body diversity. These swimsuits are created with thoughtful considerations to ensure a comfortable fit while accentuating your curves in all the right places.
Finding The Perfect Fit
When it comes to plus-size swimwear, achieving the perfect fit is essential. Here are some key factors to consider:
1. Size and Measurements, Start by taking accurate measurements of your bust, waist, and hips. Use these measurements as a guide when selecting the appropriate size for your swimsuit. Keep in mind that sizes may vary across different brands, so always refer to the specific brand's size chart for the best fit.
2. Support and Coverage. Look for swimwear styles that offer adequate support for your bust, such as underwire or molded cups. Additionally, consider the level of coverage you prefer. Whether you're comfortable flaunting more skin or prefer a modest approach, there are various options available to suit your personal style.
3. Adjustable Features. Many plus-size swimsuits come with adjustable features like straps, ties, or closures. These allow you to customize the fit according to your preferences, ensuring maximum comfort and confidence.
Exploring Different Styles
The world of plus-size swimwear offers a wide range of styles to suit various tastes and body types. Let's explore some popular options:
1. One-Piece Swimsuits. One-piece swimsuits are timeless classics that provide full coverage and support. They come in a variety of designs, including halter neck, plunging necklines, cutouts, and ruching. One-piece suits are perfect for those seeking a more modest yet stylish option.
2. Tankinis. Tankinis combine the coverage of a tank top with the convenience of a two-piece swimsuit. They usually consist of a tank-style top paired with bikini bottoms, offering the freedom to mix and match different sizes or styles.
3. Bikinis. Bikinis are known for their two-piece design, typically featuring a bra-like top and bottoms. Plus-size bikinis are designed with supportive features and high-waisted bottoms to enhance comfort and confidence.
4. Swim Dresses. Swim dresses are a great choice for those who desire a feminine and elegant look. These dresses combine the style of a sundress with the functionality of swimwear, providing coverage and comfort.
Styles To Consider For Your Shape
You May Also Like:
Embracing Designs And Patterns
Design and patterns play a crucial role in expressing your personal style through swimwear. Here are some popular design elements and patterns to consider:
1. Ruching and Draping. Ruching and draping are techniques used to gather fabric in a way that creates flattering, contoured silhouettes. These design elements can help camouflage certain areas while accentuating others.
2. Color Blocking. Color blocking involves using contrasting colors in strategic areas to create visual interest and draw attention to specific features. This technique can be particularly effective in swimwear to highlight your favorite assets.
3. Prints and Patterns. From floral motifs to geometric patterns, prints can add vibrancy and personality to your swimsuit. Opt for prints that resonate with your personal style and complement your body shape.
No matter your size or shape, there are some swimwear designs and styles the plus size fashionista needs to steer clear of:
No horizontal stripes: Usually I can’t care less about this, but when it comes to swimwear, it’s probably best to avoid body-widening horizontal stripes.
Going strapless: No matter how cute it is, a strapless suit probably isn't going to do you any favors; it just won’t provide enough support for the girls.
Bottom line when it comes to suit shopping? The same as our skinny sisters, of course: it's all about playing up assets and minimizing “flaws” while making you feel comfortable and confident.
Don't Forget To Accessorize
No swimwear ensemble is complete without the perfect accessories to enhance your look and add a touch of personal flair. Here are some accessories to consider when styling your plus-size swimwear:
1. Cover-Ups. Cover-ups are versatile pieces that provide extra coverage and can effortlessly transition your swimwear look from the beach to a beachside cafe or poolside gathering. Opt for lightweight and breathable options such as sarongs, kaftans, or maxi dresses. These not only offer comfort but also exude style and sophistication.
2. Hats and Sunglasses. Shield yourself from the sun's rays with a wide-brimmed hat or a chic sun hat. Not only do hats provide protection, but they also make a fashion statement. Pair your hat with a stylish pair of sunglasses that not only complement your face shape but also add an extra element of glamour to your beach look.
3. Sandals or Flip-Flops. Comfortable and stylish footwear is essential for any beach or pool outing. Opt for sandals or flip-flops that are designed for both style and functionality. Look for options with cushioned soles and secure straps to ensure a comfortable fit while adding a fashionable touch to your overall ensemble.
4. Beach Bags. A spacious and trendy beach bag is a must-have accessory to carry all your essentials, including sunscreen, towels, a good book, and other personal items. Choose a bag that complements your swimwear and reflects your personal style. Consider options made from lightweight and water-resistant materials for added convenience.
5. Jewelry and Accessories. Accessorize your swimwear with statement jewelry pieces such as earrings, bracelets, or necklaces that can withstand exposure to water and sun. Opt for waterproof or water-resistant options to ensure durability. Additionally, consider adding a stylish anklet or body chain to elevate your beach look with a touch of glamour.
Remember, accessories not only add functionality but also provide opportunities for self-expression and personal style. Choose accessories that make you feel confident, comfortable, and reflect your unique personality!
Finding the perfect fit, exploring different styles, and embracing designs that resonate with your personal style are the keys to feeling confident and comfortable in your swimwear. Whether you prefer the classic elegance of a one-piece or the versatility of a tankini or bikini, there are countless options available to suit your preferences. Embrace your curves, express your style, and enjoy your time in the sun with the perfect plus-size swimwear that makes you feel fabulous!
7/24/2017 08:42:25 pm
Thank you so much for this post! Like you, I'm glad that designers have started to actually create clothing for thick women like me. I really like the second row of swimsuits.
7/24/2017 08:46:35 pm
This is very helpful especially to me. I avoid swimming because I'm not confident in my swimming attire. I'll use this as a guide as I buy my next swim suit! Thank you so much!
8/26/2017 06:59:55 am
Really liked your blog, I am not sure which swimsuit I will go for, But I am planning a vacation soon with my family and I am very keen on buying good stuff. Your blog might just prove to be of great help to me.
12/26/2017 06:13:01 am
I really liked this blog that you have shared great information about style and design of swimwear.
6/12/2018 10:33:28 pm
This is great! such a great post, it will help ladies that don't have confident in their swimwear attire. it gives them ideas what to wear. for more monokini and bikini visit the site below.
4/21/2023 06:44:19 am
First and foremost, always try the bathing suit on first before buying if you can because sometimes it looks better on the hanger than your body
Leave a Reply.