My love of country kitchen decorating actually began with my second apartment in the late 80s-early 90s, with those happy little geese in their happy little bonnets, remember that? They were on everything in that kitchen--the canisters, the curtains, the wallpaper border, yikes.
Farmhouse Kitchen Chic--For Cheap!
After goosapalooza, my country kitchen decorating morphed into an ivy obsession. The color scheme went from blue and white with yellow accents to strictly green and white. I stenciled ivy on the kitchen cabinets, hung green and white ivy wallpaper and every little thing had ivy on it, from the pot holders to the dishtowels to the placemats. Surely I couldn't get bored of that theme...could I???
It’s been some years and many kitchens later and I'm now kind of obsessed with the still technically country farmhouse look, but I'm definitely NOT obsessed with having just one theme run throughout my entire kitchen anymore. That's what's great about a farmhouse look--it's SO flexible and eclectic. It can be clean, cluttered or minimal. You can showcase many of your favorite decor pieces with a farmhouse look too, creating stylish vignettes on rustic shelves and chippy tables. You can mix pricey antiques and one of a kind heirlooms with, well, shit from Amazon.
Speaking of shit from Amazon, I did a little w̶i̶n̶d̶o̶w̶ monitor shopping this weekend and found a few farmhouse kitchen pieces that I put on my wishlist and thought I would share them with my fellow farmhouse fanatics here on the blog. These truly are farmhouse kitchen chic--for cheap!
- Hosley's White Ceramic Pitcher,, $15.99
- Bushel and a Peck Tea Towel, $8.82
- Mason Jar Soap Dispenser, $15.99
- Antique Style Metal Wire 3 Tier Rack Display Stand, $39.99
- Chicken Wire Paper Towel Holder, $20.50
- Corrugated Metal Cow Wall Decor, $9.59
- Wall Mounted Key Hook/Organizer/Chalkboard, $47.99
- Star & Horseshoe, $18.99
- Farmhouse Kitchen Sign, $14.99
- Galvanized Napkin Holder, $5.09
- Mud Pie Salt & Pepper Set with Caddy, $14.95
- Black Metal Chicken Egg Basket, $17.99
- Set of 3 Oversized Striped Dish Towels, $12.99
- Decorative Dark Gray Metal Rake Head, $17.99
- Deco Metal & Glass Wall Sconce, $21.52
- Metal Windmill Wall Clock, $26.30
- White Metal Utensil Crock, $15.97
- Country House Collection 8" x 8" Mini Burlap Pillow, $5.95
Seems like everything old is new again, yeah? What do you like best about the farmhouse look? What are some of your favorite pieces? Let me know in the comments!